The Osage Mission Museum is a finalist for the 8 Wonders of Kansas History because
it tells about the Osage Mission, established in 1847, and how it was the most important and influential frontier settlement in southeast Kansas; and
its missionaries established more than 100 mission stations in Kansas
Osage Catholic Mission, now St. Paul, was the
most important and influential frontier settlement in southeast
After its establishment in 1847, it
rapidly grew into a gateway for commerce and exploration in the frontier
territory. The influence of a handful of Jesuit Missionaries spread
Christianity, and elements of their diverse cultures, across more than 100
mission stations in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Wyoming.
The Osage, a proud, industrious and perceptive nation, knew the white
civilization would come and realized their young people must be prepared to
adapt. In 1820 the chiefs of the Great and Little Osage sent a delegation to St. Louis to meet with
Bishop Du Bourg. They requested that mission schools
be established in Osage territory west of the Missouri frontier border and north of what
would become Oklahoma Indian Territory. The
Bishop was receptive to their request. From these stations, missionaries could
set up schools for Indians and settlers, establish more mission stations where
settlers could gather to worship, and eventually build chapels and churches.
The decision was made to locate a mission near the convergence of Flat Rock
Creek and the NeoshoRiver . On April 28, 1847 Jesuits, Father John Schoenmakers, Father
John Bax and three lay brothers arrived at what
would be known as the Catholic Osage Mission. They immediately established the
male department of OsageManualLaborSchool. With the arrival
of four Sisters of Lorettoon October 10, 1847, the female department was
This Mission team, led by Father Schoenmakers,
built and maintained a robust and long-standing mission presence in an area
where several previous attempts had failed. Success is attributed to skills and
interrelationships among this extraordinary group. Its success can also be
attributed to Schoenmakers insight: 1) Previous missionaries had tried to
civilize the Indians by stripping them of their culture. He allowed a blend of
native customs integrated with Christianity. 2) He knew that in order to be
successful he must educate the Osage girls, not just the boys.
The Mission schools would endure like no other
in the state. St. Paul's existing public schools
sit on the site of the oldest, continually operating school system in the state
of Kansas .
At no time during this 163-year span has the school missed even part of a term.
Survival of the Mission
through the Civil War was no small feat. It was
essentially located on the territorial North-South line. While Schoenmakers was
morally opposed to slavery, he believed neutrality was in the best interest for
preserving the Mission.
Initially this was very unpopular with both the Union
and the bands of pro-slavery sympathizers but eventually the Osage Mission
became safe-ground for both Union and Southern troops.
The Catholic Bishops could not have foreseen the role of a very small group of
missionary priests in the rapid propagation of Christianity and civilization
across the frontier region. Several more missionaries followed Father
Schoenmakers to the Mission;
but the dedication of Father Paul Mary Ponziglione and Father Philip
Colleton would become legendary.
The Mission schools and the influence of
Father Schoenmakers provided the Osage with the education and political savvy
to deal with the white man. In 1869, after an intense political struggle with
the L.L. & G. Railroad, the Osage ceded their Kansas
lands to the government for $1.25/acre and moved to northern Oklahoma. However, this transaction left the
Osage Nation with $8,536,000 in the U.S. Treasury
paying interest to all members of the tribe. Today, the Osage Nation is one of
the most affluent and influential Native American tribes.
With the departure of the Indians, Father Schoenmakers realigned his strategy
to focus the schools course of instruction to white students. The resulting St. Ann's Academy and St. Francis
Institute attracted students from many states and Mexico.
The school encouraged settlement and the population grew to 2,500. In 1895, the
Kansas legislature approved the change of the
name from Osage Mission to St. Paul.
During the 20th centurySt. Paul's fortunes shifted, partially due to
the determination of railroad right-of-ways. The population of St. Paul declined and
stabilized at about 650 by the end of the 20th century. Today, St. Paul has flourished in the face of
downsized population. The town has several new businesses, a new high school
and is implementing several municipal improvements.
While many of the original Mission
and school buildings have disappeared, historical sites remain. The OsageMission-NeoshoCountyMuseum
sits on the site of the original Mission
and schools. The 126-year-old St. Francis de Hieronymo Catholic
Church and its gardens are across the street from the museum. Two
historical cemeteries lie within minutes of the museum. The original St.
Francis School Infirmary building was relocated to the center of town in 1912
and is now operated as St. Ann's
Bed & Breakfast.
Learn more at the museum. Open Tuesday-Saturday 9 a.m.-2 p.m.