flashoverlay

8 Wonders of Kansas

Kansas Sampler Web Log
email Signup
Kansas Sampler Web Log
Kansas Sampler Web Log
Social Links Follow us on Twitter Become a Fan On Facebook

Map Header
Kansas Sampler Events

 

  • Print PageFacebookTwitter

8 Wonders of Thomas County

First Presbyterian Church, 515 W. Fourth, Colby.  Organized in 1886, the first church building housed the first church bell ever rung in Colby, which rang for the first time on September 15, 1887.  The original cost of the bell was $60.  The bell now stands in front of the church.

Houston House, 340 Kansas Street, Rexford.  Part of Shepherd's Staff Christian Conference and Retreat Center, the Houston House is a classic 1906 Victorian home built by Philip Houston.  It's listed on the Kansas Registry of Historic Places.

Cooper Barn, 1905 S. Franklin, Colby.  Originally located northeast of Colby, it was relocated to the Prairie Museum of Art and History in 1992.  It stands 66 by 114 feet and is 48 feet tall with 15,000 square feet of space.  The Cooper Barn was voted one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas Architecture in the statewide contest.

Prairie Museum of Art and History, 1905 S. Franklin, Colby.  The museum serves as a cultural center and provides education about area art and history through its collections.  Founded in 1959, it is a private, non-profit museum governed by the Thomas County Historical Society. 

Thomas County Courthouse, 300 N. Court, Colby.  The brick structure is complemented with a clock tower and a statue depicting the essence of living on the Great Plains. 

Fike Park, along Franklin Avenue in downtown Colby.  Fike Park is a popular park for picnics, community events, private events and general enjoyment.  The swimming pool is located just south of the park.

Colby City Hall, 585 N. Franklin, Colby.  The art deco sand-colored Colby City Hall was built in the 1920s by Suite & Blanchard.  It has served as a correctional facility, fire station, library, and a meeting hall.

Northwest Research and Experiment Center, 105 Experiment Farm Road off Fourth Street, Colby.  The center features more than 720 acres on which a visitor can tour research plots of trees, flowers and grains.