The building that now houses Aldrich Apothecary has been home to a drug store since 1892 operating first as Leach Drug Store until A.J. Kenwell bought it in 1922. Connie Aldrich purchased the business in 1977. The building still features a tin pressed ceiling and 30-foot oak cases that line the sides of the rooms.
The soda fountain likely dates back to the 1920s. It features a back bar and mirror, brass foot rail, stools, a tiled counter and marble counter top. Green rivers and cherry phosphates or still sold here. The owner is Connie Aldrich.
was started in 1939 by Walt Fraese and was located in the Wolcott
Building at 2nd and Main. He had the drugstore until 1961 when he sold
it to Sid Trebilcock. The drugstore was moved to the Wiley Building
in October of 1988 and was purchased by Janet Ellis and Don Kaufman, current
JOHNSON, The Old store, 112 S. Main
includes a huge quilting machine that people can rent. The store is filled with memorabilia from the
early Republican campaign years and has many antiques. Hardwood floors and a tin-pressed ceiling
make it look nostalgic.
MARQUETTE, City Sundries, 104 N. Washington
City Sundries has original late 1800's marble counters and tables, metal soda
shop chairs, walnut and glass display cases and original tile floor. Owner
SENECA, Cornerstone Coffee Haus & Rogers &
two soda fountains in Seneca—both came from the old Harsh Drug Store and were a
real tradition in Seneca. The 1950s double horseshoe counter is now located in the Cornerstone Coffee Haus
and the older one is on Main Street
in Rogers and Son Electric.
TOPEKA, Potwin Drug Store
History of the Potwin Drug Store: The Potwin Drug Store at Old Prairie Town has a history dating back to 1902 in Topeka, Kansas.
In 1902 it was known as Edelblutes, located at 5th and Washburn.
Edelblute decorated his store with beautiful marble countertops, English walnut
shelves, wire-back chairs that matched ice cream parlor tables, and a green and
white tile floor. It was the place to go in Topeka!
In 1946 Mr.
Edelblute sold the drug store to Lloyd Raisch, and he continued the tradition
of the neighborhood drug store until 1968. At that time, Albert Wilson
purchased the drug store and operated it until 1976. He sold the business and
everything inside was sold at auction.
A group of
Topekans called the Potwin Place Development Association purchased all the
fixtures and fountain pieces, carefully labeling each one for future
reassemble. In 1993 the group presented the fountain and fixtures to the City
of Topeka, with
the stipulation that the gift was to be given a home as an active soda
fountain. Over the next three years, a new, "old" drugstore was built at Old Prairie
Town at Ward-Meade
Historic Site, with all the original fixtures and fountains adorning the
Potwin Drug Store is an "experience" where you can go and sit at the marble
counter, sip an old-fashioned Egg Cream, play the old Wurlitzer jukebox, and
for just a while, go back in time to the old neighborhood drug store.
WAKEENEY, Gibson Health Mart, 125 N. Main
Gibson Health Mart has been located along Main Street in downtown WaKeeney since
1892and has had a soda fountain since the very beginning. The
current soda fountain features nine stools and still makes Green Rivers
andsodas, malts and shakes the old-fashioned way Contact Bernita Augustine, firstname.lastname@example.org,
WESTMORELAND, Hoffman Pharmacy, 402 Main.
Pharmacy has the county’s only old-fashioned soda fountain, complete with its
original 1950’s-style Formica countertop, swivel stools and authentic
booths. This Westmoreland pharmacy started at the turn of the century and
had a handful of owners up until 1968 when it was purchased by pharmacists Bill
and Trudy Hoffman. 785.457.3611.